Since you know how to listen to music while swimming in my previous post, I now show you how to decorate your earbuds and make them look better. But, why should we do this? I’m sure you are wondering.
Indeed, I bought a new pair of waterproof headphones and used them days ago. Everything was fine until I mistook them for others. The guy who was sitting near me had the same earbuds as well.
Although we found the right headphones after that, I was still embarrassing. Then I decided to customize earphones to make them unique.
There are lots of decor ideas online that guide you on how to decorate your headphones. But since you are here, I will show an earbud DIY list that I’ve tried and completed correctly. Down here to know now!
4 Ways to decorate your earbuds
1. With nail polish
Just ask your mom or sisters to borrow a variety of nail polish colors and then follow my step-by-step guide below.
- Firstly, you need to tape each piece of masking tape around the headphones. The pieces need to be placed from ½ inches to a few inches apart. And remember to press the tape firmly.
- Secondly, hang your headphones with two clothespins so that you can paint around with ease.
- Thirdly, choose the colors you like and start covering the exposed pieces of the earphones. Then let them 100% dry.
- Fourthly, remove each piece of masking tape. Avoid doing when the nail polish is still sticky because it will seep through.
- Fifthly, continue painting the remaining pieces of the headphone where the masking tape used to be. After that, let dry.
- Finally, sweep a thin layer of clear nail polish to prevent the paint from chipping.
2. With string
When it comes to decorating earbuds with string, I found that this technique might take a bit of time to master. As a result, it doesn’t only make the headphones look nicer but also make them last longer and tangle less.
So, let’s learn how to decorate headphones with the string now!
- First of all, you need to cut the strings that you want to customize earphones. Remember that the longer you cut them each round, the longer they might last.
- Then attach the headphones to the clipboard gently.
- Let’s tie the string all together in a knot below the plug, apply the clear nail polish and let it dry thoroughly.
- Next, make forward knots until you get about 5 inches of the string left. Continue adding more string and tie it onto the earbuds as you did at the beginning. Note only to tie it on top of the extra strings and cover the knot in the clear nail polish.
- Do until reaching the end of the single part of the headphone. Make a knot and add the clear nail polish. Let’s it dry, of course!
- Continue doing the same for the part where it divides into 2 and makes forward knots up to the earbuds.
- Lastly, apply a thin glue to make sure the knot is secure and coated before using.
Aside from using the string, you can decorate your earbuds with yarn or embroidery floss by performing the same technique.
3. With loom bands
Another cool way is to decorate your headphones with loom bands. So, please prepare some colorful bands, a hook, earbuds, and your talented hands!
- Start looping a band over your fingers at first.
- Then twist it before inserting the earphones. Continue performing another twist and loop over the other finger. Make sure to end up with a band stretched between fingers with the headphones suspended in between.
- From the first twisted band, you need to add two more bands above the opening band. Remember to only loop around the finger and headphones, not twist them.
- Next, make the hook, pull one side of the bottom band over the top of the finger, release it and repeat this on the other side.
- After that, add another band above the two that are left and hook the bottom band over. Continue adding a new band and hook until it covers all your headphones.
- Finally, you just pull the last band out, twist and hook it over to finish.
4. With beads
Having your earbuds wrapped with beads is the last yet cool way that I want to mention. All you should need to include a knife, colorful beads, and headphones (of course). Then down here to find out how to do!
- The first step is to slide a line down each bead from top to bottom with the knife. Please, carry out carefully since you don’t want to cut your fingers, right?
- The next one is to use your fingernail and open the bead.
- Then slip it onto the headphone cord gently.
- Continue doing with the remaining beads until you’ve done.
Aside from guiding you on how to decorate your earbuds, I also talk about other decor ideas to customize your big headphones.
Indeed, you can follow the ways above to make the headphones better. To the ear cups, you can draw something cool on them. But, how?
- First of all, you need to rub off the ear cups’ surface with a cloth and a bit of acetone.
- Then use a brush to paint the cups with the white MOLOTOW paint maker. Make sure to let them 100% dry (about 20 minutes or more).
- Next, make a sketch you like and perfect it with bright colors.
- Remember to do the same on the other side.
- Finally, spray a layer of varnish over it.
As a whole, decorating your earbuds or big headphones is a nice idea to change the standard look to something new. Importantly, they look unique so that you won’t mistake them for others like me.
Which method would you like to follow, nail polish, yarn or loom bands? Choose one or all to make all your headphones look better. And don’t forget to share your results with us. Or if you have any cool earbud DIY, leave your comment below now.
We’re happy to see them!